Art deco furniture angled, geometric, high quality all these things come to mind when thinking of this period. All types of items were available from furniture, jewellery, mirrors and lamps to mention a few.
Art Deco is a design style which first appeared in France during the 1920s, and then flourished during the1930s and 1940s, but faded after World war II. It is an eclectic style which mixes the natural motifs from Art nouveau period with abstract designs, characterized by rich colors, bold geometric shapes, and extravagant ornamentation. Art deco was inspired by cubist art with artists like Picasso mixed with animal skins, tortoiseshell and mother of pearl. Many buildings were built in the Art deco style for example the Empire state building in New York.
The styles from the Art deco period were:-
- geometric and angular shapes
- stylised images of aeroplanes, cars, cruise liners, skyscrapers theatrical contrasts
- highly polished wood and glossy black lacquer mixed with satin and furs
- chrome, glass, shiny fabrics, mirrors and mirror tiles
- nature motifs – shells, sunrises, flowers
We stock original and reproduction pieces of furniture in the Art deco style. Original pieces are arriving on a weekly basis. Below are just some of the reproduction and antique items from past and present.
Art Deco Furniture